Dokumentation / documentation
Apart from displaying an icon for the user agent, you can hover
the icon to see the exact user agent line. If you click on the icon, you
will see the icon in a message box.
If there is a mail written by an user agent for which DispMUA has
no icon, a symbol with a question mark is shown. Click on it, and a dialog
window will open. If you choose "send feedback" a new mail window is opened,
containing my address in the From field and the exact user agent line in the
mail body. Send it to me, so that I get notified about it. Additionally
if you want to help me, you can search for the website of this agent and
make an icon for it.
How it's done
When a new message is selected, the headers of the mail are
searched for lines beginning with "User-Agent", "X-Mailer" and such.
These lines are compared with a big list of line-to-icon assignments, and
the matching icon is displayed.
By default, an extension can access only a small part of the mail's headers
(subject, from, to, user-agent). That's Thunderbirds default behaviour.
Now some user agents use "X-Mailer" or some really weird header lines to identify
themselves. To get all these lines the mail is reread again and the headers were
extracted by dispMUA with it's own procedure.
Although the list of supported user agents is rather long the mail will come
which causes DispMUA to display a question mark - unsupported user agent.
You can send the header to me by clicking on the icon, but as I don't really have
time to search for icons all day, I ask you for help.
Another scenario is that you work as a web developer and get mails from
different web pages identify themselves with an "X-Mailer:" or "User-Agent" header
line, and want to have different icons for them. It wouldn't make sense to send the
headers to me as there are not many people which would ever see this mail, and
DispMUA would only get bloated with these icons.
The solution for this problems are "user overrides": A list with headers and the
corresponding icons which you can define.
First, you need to create a file called
dispMuaOverlay.csv in your thunderbird profile
directory (On *nix, it is at
~/.thunderbird/<profilename>/, on Windows it
should be at
In the file itself, you write the header-icon-association on one line each; the first
part is the (part of the) lowercase header line, then a comma, and then the path to the
icon. It's a semi-csv format, so you divide the two parts by a comma, but can use quotes
around the fields if you have a comma in the header or path itself.
The path to the icon has to be a full URL, e.g.
Example: Sample override file
The override file is loaded once when thunderbird is started. Changes to the file are not
reflected as long as thunderbird is running - you have to restart to see the changes in action.
After the message has been selected and the headers have been parsed by DispMUA, it
firstly looks in the user override list, and compares the lowercased lines with the ones
from the list. If the agent from the override is part of the mail header line, the symbol is taken.
If not, the next override line is tested. If no user override matches, the normal search is done.
This method has the following consequences for you:
- Always write lowercased agent lines in the override file. If the mail identifies the agent
with "My Cool MailingAgent", you have to could use "cool mailingagent" (part of the agent header
line), but not "MailingAgent", as the uppercase letters will never match.
- You can override existing icons with your own ones. If the WinBiff icon doesn't meet your
style criteria, you can replace it with your own one.
- Take care of the order. If line 2 matches all agents with "under" in their name, the icon
will always be preferred over the one in line 10, the icon for e.g. "thunderbird".
Liste der Änderungen / changelog
Further development by:
- Moved dispmua.css to the place stated in XUL files, then corrected a typo on the name of the file included.
- Changed EOL in feedback.js from DOS/Windows mode to Unix mode.
- DOM element content_checktext changed to dispmua-checktext for better compatibility with other addons
- some more icons (1863 now)
- Supported mail headers: 6361 of 10298 (61.8%) with URL (60.9%)
- some more icons (1861 now)
- Supported mail headers: 6361 of 10298 (61.8%) with URL (60.9%)
- fixed bug: use new AddonManager instead of old nsIExtensionManager if available
- works with Thunderbird 4, 5 and 6
- now compatible with addon CompactHeader
- new locale: es-AR
- quick update for Thunderbird 3.1
- support for Thunderbird 3, Thunderbird 2 and SeaMonkey 2
- some corrections to make TB 3.0b3 work
- correction of a bug: TB 3.0b2 didn't show icons
- correction of a minor bug due to redefining const XUL_NS.
- new locales: ro-RO, sr-RS, tr-TR, uk-UA
- different thunderbird icons for linux, mac, sun and windows users
- in expanded header view the icon position is limited to max 40 pixels from the top.
- in collapsed header view now a smaller icon is shown. Note: unfortunately I had to work around some TB bugs!
- DispMUA runs with Seamonkey too
- some more icons (1796 now)
- Supported mail headers: 3818 of 5936 (64.3%) with URL (62.8%)
- user agent string in feedback window now selectable
- selected text can be send to dispMUA using context menu
- some more icons (1645 now)
- Supported mail headers: 2901 of 4730 (61.3%) with URL (59.2%)
- Bug removed: user agent string not found if it was last line of header
- some more icons (1483 now)
- Supported mail headers: 2719 of 4551 (59.7%) with URL (56.8%)
- Bug removed: header parser didn't stop at first blank line
- some more icons (1392 now)
- Supported mail headers: 2580 of 4403 (58.6%) with URL (52.4%)
- dispMUA is able to run with Thunderbird 3.0a2pre
- Addon "Mnenhy" is not needed anymore to access headers
- more generalized scanning procedures
- Popup blocked for "Message-ID" only headers
- new locale tr-TR added
- some more icons (1243 now)
- Supported mail headers: 2253 of 3963 (56.9%) with URL (30.3%)
- some more icons (1157 now)
- Supported mail headers: 2147 of 3840 (55.9%)
- some more icons (1006 now)
- Supported mail headers: 1989 of 3686 (54.0%)
- some more icons (888 now)
- Supported mail headers: 1827 of 3535 (51.7%)
- Folder chrome is now located in jar file for faster installation
- This also prevents the "Chrome Protocol Directory Traversal Vulnerability"
- Added version number to subject in feedback mail
- some more icons (817 now)
- Supported mail headers: 1757 of 3512 (50.0%)
- Data structure extended: begin of adding URL for user agent website
- Click on icon in feedback window links to user agent website (if possible)
- Long Message-IDs now shortened in the middle of the string
- Bug removed: false positives if "Organization"/"X-MimeOLE"/"Message-ID" not found
- Locales: bg-BG, ca-AD, cs-CZ, de-DE, en-US, es-ES, fr-FR, hr-HR, it-IT, ja-JP, ko-KR, nl-NL, pl-PL, pt-BR, pt-PT, ru-RU, sk-SK, sv-SE, zh-CN, zh-TW
- some more icons (805 now) and nearly 100 icons updated
- Supported mail headers: 1753 of 3509 (50.0%)
- Changed behaviour of feedback window
- Locales: ca-AD, cs-CZ, de-DE, en-US, es-ES, fr-FR, it-IT, ja-JP, ko-KR, nl-NL, pl-PL, pt-BR, pt-PT, ru-RU, sk-SK, zh-CN, zh-TW
- Some more icons (694 now)
- Supported mail headers: 1592 of 3466 (45.9%)
- Corrected locale sk-SK
- Some more icons (585 now)
- Recoded to support Thunderbird 2.0.0.* only
- Support for older versions removed
- Some more icons (564 now)
All Versions below written by Christian Weiske:
- Thunderbird 2.0.0.*
- Some more icons (536 now)
- Don't send a mail with unsupported agents anymore
- Slovak translation by Jan Kendi
- Hindi translation thanks to Anant Narayanan
- Thunderbird 1.5.0.*
- 471 icons, 1395 unsupported
- 401 icons now, and 840 unsupported ones. I think it's getting too much now
- support for Thunderbird 1.5 (with chrome.manifest)
- SeaMonkey 1.0 support (Thanks to Alexander Opitz)
- Own about dialog
- License is GPL now
- Added Eudora, which had been out since the code re-organization
- Columba icon
- Icon shouldn't jump left and right any more
- 300 icons
- Version bump to Thunderbird 1.5beta1
- Thomas Bertels sent me a localized version of dispMUA, including french and the original english locale. He also told me that I can use OptiPNG to make the pngs smaller; so I reduced the icons from 272kiB size to 255kiB.
- Made the "mostwanted" icons to be searched only at the beginning of the identifier
- Went back from mostwanted, replaced it with "presearch" which is searched full (not only at the beginning) as there were problems with thunderbird identification
- There is a ChangeLog file now
- xhtmail [http://ptaff.ca/xhtmail/] uses the dispMUA icons
- gnus-muaicon.el [http://www.geocities.jp/emacsjjjj/gnus/] is a dispMUA port to Gnus
- Added several new icons; there are 300 supported mail programs now!!
- fixed some unidentified mail programs due to the changes in 1.1.0
- 250 supported programs
- Rewrote the identifier-icon-association array to be more efficient I use a nested array with the first letter as index so that the loop does not need to go through all of the items
- 237 supported programs
- We are over the 200 mark...
- Support for user overrides so that users can add their own icons without modifying the dispMUA sources
- 207 supported programs
- 164 supported programs
- Time for version 1.0 as it's really stable
- 103 supported programs
- Over one hundred supported MUAs... never thought there would be so much
- 102 supported programs
- 84 supported programs
- 81 supported programs
- 53 supported programs
- 47 supported programs
- first official released version
- 23 supported programs!
- That should be all programs out there... That's what my naive mind thought that time
Sollten Sie eine Idee für ein neues Add-on haben, dann können Sie uns
natürlich auch unverbindlich schreiben.
Eventuell können wir diese Idee zusammen mit Ihnen realisieren.